Friday 12 December 2008

Six of the Best (of Songs)

It seems as if it is quite common nowadays with lists and questionnaires and such things on blogs. You know that I prefer to talk about myself through my stories and fantasies but now I decided to start a theme here, with Six of the Best of different things, such as songs and books and films.


So these are Six of the Best songs that have not been written by David Bowie (I will make a list of those later). Anyway, note that it doesn't say the Six Best, but Six of the Best. This means these songs are a pick of the best, not necessarily the best.



1 Wuthering Heights (Kate Bush, 1978)


This is simply a brilliant song, unlike most other songs. Kate Bush's voice is special, like no other voice. I love this song, it brings tears to my eyes. It is very romantic and it is not ashamed of being romantic. When I see Kate Bush sing her song I can see how it easy it would be to make fun of her, she is quirky and silly. But she is more than that. She is sensual and dreamy and so immensely confident that it touches my soul.


Live version


2 This is the Sea (The Waterboys, 1985)


The music that the Waterboys created around the mid 80s has been called the Big Music. I think I know why. This music touches my soul too but in a very different way. This is spiritual music, there is something that transcends the everyday life here. I can't really explain it but this song is one of the most happy songs I know, more full of life and hope than almost anything else.


Live version (bad quality), studio version


3 What Goes On (The Velvet Underground, 1968)


When I listen to Velvet Underground, and especially the earlier albums I get quite enthusiastic and want to tell everyone that this is the best band ever. This is minimalistic music, simple in all aspects but so brilliant it hurts. I can't really put my finger on what makes this to such a great song. Perhaps I don't have to. Just listen to it and enjoy something really great.


Studio version


4 Get It On (T.Rex, 1971)


This is a unique song by a unique artist. This song moves on in its own pace, relentless but oh so sweet and gentle. This is a song that takes hold of you and moves you along in a kind of smooth undulating movement. It rocks but it rocks so sweetly that you just want to close your eyes and be swept along. This is sexy in a way that seems to be forgotten nowadays.


Live from Top of the Pops


5 Common People (Pulp, 1995)


This is one of my favourites at the moment. I don't really know what to say about it. It is a great song, full of passion and anger, brilliant in its simplicity. I never got the Brit Pop Wonder. As you may have noticed I prefer older music. This one, however, makes me want to dance and sing and that is quite good for a song.


Studio version with video, live version



6 Eternal Flame (The Bangles, 1989)


This is the ultimate romantic song. It has it all but it stays short of making you choke on its sweetness. I love the voice of Susanna Hoffs, it is so vulnerable and delightful that I just want to cry. This is so lovely I have no words for it. One of the best love songs ever written by a member in a band that had Girl Power long before Spice Girls ever became a phenomenon.


Studio version, live version



7 comments:

Paul said...

Janice, a nice change of pace.
I'm so glad that you had the wonderful Kate bush at the head of the list, the first time that I heard it I wasn't sure, but it grew on me, now its one of my favourites.
I enjoyed your selection, I hope that you will do it again.
Love and warm hugs,
Paul.

Manorlord said...

How fun that 2 of your 6 artists would make it into my own top 6 artists (if I had one), and that the chosen songs are among my favorites.

Kate is at the top of my pop list (as you know). I suppose my favorite of hers is Kashka from Baghdad -- hardly a pop hit. The entire album "The Kick Inside" is, well, perfect. Wuthering Heights' fluid harmonies keep the listener pleasantly off balance -- and the melody (I am told)is murder to sing. Lucy Westernra (a Kiwi diva) is the latest to do a cover.

I remember the first time I heard a Velvet Underground track. What a revelation. I prefer the Nico sessions, but VU is equally great without her. I still have the (scratchy, skippy) vinyl lps -- I the CD sound is just wrong.

Janice said...

Dear Paul, thanks for the comment. I think I will do that from time to time, Six of the Best of different things.

Dear Manorlord, to be perfectly honest, I haven't listened to that many Kate Bush songs but I know Wuthering Heights makes me want to listen more. I think it is Hayley Westenra you are thinking of and that Mina will find that mix up very amusing. Regarding Velvet Underground, I have to say I am not with you, I prefer them without Nico and even without John Cale.

Hugs

Janice

Anonymous said...

Janice, I like this idea it is original and a good way to get across your favourites in a concise manner.

I want to take the time to listen to all of the songs and haven't has chance yet so will re-comment once I have.

Lucy Westenra, why she is Mina Harkers best friend!

Hugs Mina

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janice said...

Dear Mina, yes, exactly, that is why I thought the mix up so amusing. Thanks for the kind comment, I will publish more Six of the Best, I think.

Hugs

Janice

Anonymous said...

I think this six of the best a tip top idea.

Kate Bush is just gorgeous though I too haven't heard much else than this song and Babushka. Shall have to track some more of her down on iTunes.

I enjoyed the Waterboys track, the lead singer has a distinctive voice which I remember from Whole of the Moon. I have a few of their other tracks but not this one.

I am a Lou Reed fan and love Rock n' Roll Animal but haven't ever listened, knowingly, to the Velvet Underground. Another I will need to track down.

T-rex, this song is a classic and it always makes me want to dance.

Common People, what a great track! I really enjoyed this and the lyrics are great as well.

Ah, the Bangles. I admit this is a favourite as well and no one would ever believe it considering my preference for heavy sounds but then I like many different sounds.

Look forward to the Bowie six of the best.

Ain't there one damn song that can make break down and cry?

Actually there are loads of them, thankfully.

Hugs
Mina